Neither the Lakers nor the Clippers are expected to make picks early first round of the NBA Draft, but it doesn't mean the Southern California hoops scene can't rally behind the local talents.
Former Chino Hills stars, guard LaMelo Ball and big man Onyeka Okongwu, were picked early in Wednesday's NBA Draft. Both Ball, now with the Charlotte Hornets, and Okonwu, now with the Atlanta Hawks, led the Chino Hill Huskies to a CIF Open Division state championship in 2015-2016 as high school freshmen.
Following their title run together, Ball -- the younger brother of New Orleans Pelicans' Lonzo Ball and former UCLA Bruin LiAngelo Ball -- left Chino Hills to play professionally overseas. Okongwu stayed at Chino Hills through graduation and played one season with the USC Trojans.
Kenyon Martin Jr., who played his high school career at Chatsworth’s Sierra Canyon, was selected in the second round of the draft by the Houston Rockets.
LONG BEACH, CA - MARCH 17: Kenyon Martin Jr. (L) of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers shares a moment with his father, Kenyon Martin Sr. (R), after their victory against the against the Etiwanda Eagles for the CIF State Regional Finals on March 17, 2018
TOP-10 PICKS OF 2020 NBA DRAFT
1. Minnesota Timberwolves, guard, Anthony Edwards, Georgia
2. Golden State Warriors, center, James Wiseman, Memphis
3. Charlotte Hornets, guard, LaMelo Ball, Australia
4. Chicago Bulls, forward, Patrick Williams, Florida State
5. Cleveland Cavaliers, forward, Isaac Okoro, Auburn
6. Atlanta Hawks, center/power forward, Onyeka Okongwu, USC
7. Detroit Pistons, guard, Killian Hayes, France
8. New York Knicks, forward, Obi Toppin, Dayton
9. Washington Wizards, forward, Deni Avdija, Israel
10. Phoenix Suns, forward, Jalen Smth, Maryland
FOX 11's Kelli Johnson contributed to this report.