Goose recovers, released after overdose of prescription medications

Great news this evening about the goose and duck that overdosed on prescription meds last week. One is on its way to a full recovery. And the other was well enough to be released.

A goose that came into contact with drugs at a park had recovered and been released back into wildlife on Wednesday.

On Monday, December 17, the Canada goose was found in the street near Chris Carr Park by a woman asking for help.

It had overdosed.

Brian McDaniel took the animal to his home and called animal control.

"I thought it was dying. Like its head and neck was rolling all over the place. His face was smacking the ground and it started beating his wings," McDaniel said.

The goose was taken into wetlands and wildlife care center were it was treated.

Manager Lisa Peronne said because the goose was larger, it was easier to revive it and get the drugs out of its system.

But another bird, a ring-billed gull, also came in contact with the prescription drugs. Peronne said it was smaller and would take longer to heal.

It was expected to be okay and released at a later date.

"This is what makes everything worth it to me," Peronne said. "To see these guys just go back into the wild where they came from. Just happy get out there."

What concerned Peronne and residents the most was that the drugs were splattered near a playground where children could have come in contact with the drugs.

McDaniel said from viewing the picture of the drugs, which was posted to wetlands and wildlife care center, he could see blueberries were mixed in.

"The pills are very brightly colored. They do look kind of like they could be candy, bright blues, bright greens," Peronne said.

"My very first thought was I felt horrible for the birds and I'm really grateful that you know, it didn't happen to a child."

Another goose overdosed on the drugs also, but recovered at the park and wasn't taken to a center.

If you ever come into contact with animal in need of help, contact animal control or take the animal to a local care center.