Carport fire in Inglewood damages apartments
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (FOX 11 / CNS) - Fire and heavy smoke broke out in the carport of an apartment complex in Inglewood just before midnight on Thursday.
Neighbors reported loud popping sounds that woke them up.
Within minutes witnesses said the entire backside of the building was up in flames.
It happened on Flower Street, just off East Manchester and South Prairie Avenue.
Once it became clear residents needed to evacuate, a young woman said she and her friends jumped into action to help save a paralyzed neighbor who was wheelchair bound.
No injuries were reported, but units in two different buildings suffered severe smoke damage and at least nine vehicles were charred.
The Red Cross was called in to help 31 displaced residents find a place to stay.
Witnesses believe the fire started in a landscaper's truck, which had gasoline cans, and quickly spread to the other cars and surrounding apartments.
Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook , Twitter , Instagram , and YouTube .