Bay Area couple charged in burning death of dog
BURLINGAME, Calif. (KTVU) - A couple was charged for their dog Sprocket's death after the animal was allegedly put into scalding hot water.
According to the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA, Shelby Lujan brought her two-year-old dog "Sprocket" to an emergency veterinary clinic May 1, more than a week after she said he was injured.
Sprocket had third degree burns on 40 percent of his body. Veterinarians did everything they could, but Sprocket died several hours after he was taken to the clinic.
"The details of this case are horrific," said Ken White, president of Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA. "After the scalding, the poor dog endured days of horrendous suffering. We hope our investigation will provide the evidence needed to bring Sprocket justice, and ensure that his owners are unable to hurt any other animals."
Lujan and her boyfriend Paul Souter say a cup of boiling water was accidentally spilled onto Sprocket's crate. An expert forensic veterinarian determined that the pattern and severity of injuries was due to non-accidental, intentional burning of Sprocket. The burn pattern was consistent with the dog being lowered or placed in a scalding liquid, according to the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA.
Lujan was released on bail while Souter remains in custody. A hearing date has been set.