Crews responded shortly after 8:30 a.m. to the building at 255 S. Grand Avenue. According to the Los Angeles Fire Department, the fire began in a restaurant on the ground floor of the building that was being renovated. A construction worker on the crew at a new Chipotle cut through an electric main that distributes power through the building. That worker was taken to the hospital with burns covering more than half his body, according to LAFD.
While the fire was contained to the construction site, smoke went up several floors of the building. The building's tenants were successfully evacuated and are in temporary housing waiting for LAFD clearance to return to their homes..
Tune in to FOX 11 Los Angeles for the latest Southern California news.