LOS ANGELES - The parents of a 4-year-old Palmdale boy, who claimed their son drowned, pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of murder and torture in connection with his death.
Palmdale residents Jose Maria Cuatro Jr., 28, and Ursula Elaine Juarez, 25, were charged in September in the death of 4-year-old Noah Cuatro.
Noah's parents reported a near-drowning in their family pool in the 1200 block of East Avenue S around 4 p.m. July 5, but medical professionals observed the trauma from his body was not consistent with drowning.
• DCFS failed to remove 4-year-old Noah Cuatro from home despite court order, attorney says
• Palmdale parents who claimed Noah Cuatro, 4, drowned charged with murder, torture in boy's death
• Palmdale parents arrested after months-long investigation into death of 4-year-old son
• Report absolves L.A. County Department of Children and Family Services in Palmdale boy's death
• Attorney demands answers from DCFS after Palmdale boy dies after returning to parents' custody
• Relative files multimillion-dollar damages claim over death of 4-year-old Noah Cuatro
• Grandma banned from Noah Cuatro's funeral after allegations of child abuse against boys' parents
• Parents said 4-year-old Palmdale boy drowned, medical professionals speculate otherwise
Noah's death was officially ruled a homicide on September 24 by the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. Two days later, Cuatro and Juarez were arrested and booked into the Palmdale Sheriff's Station.
The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Cuatro and Juarez are due back in court on April 7, 2020.