Lawn Love ranked 2023's most expensive metro areas for renters, comparing more than 170 based on average rent prices, year-over-year rent charges, and the share of renters spending over 30% of their income on rent and utilities.
The report found all the top 10 most expensive metro areas in the U.S. are located along the coast.
Here are the most expensive metro areas in California for renters:
- Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Ventura (#3 overall)
- San Diego, Chula Vista, Carlsbad (#4 overall)
- Los Angeles, Long Beach, Anaheim (#6 overall)
- Napa (#7 overall)
The New York City tri-state area, which includes Newark and Jersey City, N.J., took the overall top spot as most expensive metro area in the U.S., followed by Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Florida.
- Housing costs in these California cities are highest in US
- For $250K you could live on a bridge in this 462-sq-ft Alhambra 'home'
- Walt Disney's 'Storybook Mansion' is available for rent; here's how much it'll cost
- 'House poor' homeowners live in these California cities
Data from Zillow shows rents grew in the U.S. in the month of May by 4.8% to about $2,048 a month on average nationally.