LOS ANGELES - It has been a long time coming for Laker Nation.
The Los Angeles Lakers beat the Phoenix Suns in Game 3 109-95 in Game 3, securing the franchise’s first playoff victory at Staples Center since 2012.
With Thursday’s victory, the Lakers now take a 2-1 lead in the best-of-7 series.
Prior to the Game 3 tip-off, it had been 2,952 days since the Lakers played a home playoff game at Staples Center, a figured ingrained in Lakers CEO/Governor Jeanie Buss' head on social media.
The two teams return to action at Staples Center for Game 4 Sunday, tipping off at 12:30 p.m. PT.
- Game 1: Suns 99, Lakers 90. Final.
- Game 2: Lakers 109, Suns 102. Final.
- Game 3: Lakers 109, Suns 95. Final.
- Game 4: Sunday, May 30 in Los Angeles, 12:30 p.m. PT
- Game 5: Tuesday, June 1 in Phoenix | TBD
- Game 6: Thursday, June 3 in Los Angeles | TBD*
- Game 7: Saturday, June 5 in Phoenix | TBD*
HOW THEY GOT HERE
The Lakers locked in the Western Conference seventh seed after beating the Golden State Warriors 103-100 in the play-in tournament. The reigning NBA champs finished the COVID-shortened regular season with a 42-30 record.
The Suns secured the second seed after finishing the season with a 51-21 record. Phoenix's ended the franchise's 11-year playoff drought after clinching the playoffs earlier this spring.