Toddler dies after being left in hot car for hours

The child of an employee of Galveston TexMex restaurant died Saturday after being left in the parent's vehicle for about 5 hours.

At approximately 11:00 a.m., a parent arrived for work at 6316 Stewart Road, Los Lazos restaurant. An 18-month-old boy was left in the car, a Chevy Tahoe, outside of this address. At around 4:00 p.m., the parent returned to the car and found the child to be unresponsive.

First responders were called and began treating the child and made transport to the emergency room at the University of Texas Medical Branch here in Galveston. The child was pronounced dead at UTMB Health John Sealy Hospital Trauma Center after all avenues of treatment were exhausted.

Weather service records show that the air temperature in Galveston at the time the young child was found was 90 degrees.

No names are being released at this time, and authorities are investigating.