Suspect on' FBI's Most Wanted' list arrested

A man added this week to the FBI's list of Ten Most Wanted Fugitives for his suspected involvement in a shootout in Los Angeles that left four men dead was taken into custody today following a car chase, authorities said.

Marlon Jones, who was considered armed and extremely dangerous, was taken into custody by an FBI/Los Angeles Police Department Task Force between 6:30 and 7:05 p.m. in South Los Angeles, following a chase on the Harbor (110) Freeway, according to the FBI's Laura Eimiller.

Widespread publicity about Jones after he was added to the list on Thursday generated a tip that led to his arrest, Eimiller said.

A reward of up to $100,000 had been offered for information leading to his arrest.

Shortly after midnight on Oct. 15, while attending a birthday party near Rimpau and Jefferson boulevards in the West Adams district, Jones allegedly shot and killed a rival Jamaican gang member, and there was an exchange of gunfire between gang rivals in which three other men also were killed and several other people wounded.

The names of the fatally wounded victims has not been released because the case remains on a security hold, coroner's Assistant Chief Ed Winter said.

About 50 people were at the party, which was being held at a home that had been temporarily converted into a restaurant, according to detectives.

Jones, who has a violent criminal history, is believed to be a member of an East Coast Jamaican criminal group involved in the illegal distribution of marijuana and may have been in Los Angeles to settle a disagreement with the rival gang, the FBI reported.

Jones was believed to be living in the United States illegally.

A local arrest warrant was obtained by the Los Angeles Police Department for Jones on Oct. 21 after he was charged with four counts of murder by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

A federal arrest warrant was issued for Jones on Oct. 31 after he was charged in a criminal complaint with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

Jones was believed to have fled the state immediately after the shootings.

Los Angeles County officials requested the assistance of the FBI in apprehending and returning him to Los Angeles to face prosecution.

According to the complaint against him, LAPD detectives investigating the case received information that Jones had been visiting from New York and was staying with associates in Los Angeles.

Jones has used a variety of aliases, including: Rasheen Brantley, Floyd Evans, Floyd Evans, Jr., Anthony Howard, Philip L. Schepacarter, Anthony Winter, Anthony Wynter, and "Junior.' Jones, who allegedly has used various dates of birth along with his aliases, is believed to be in his 30's or early 40's.