LOS ANGELES - After shutting down just months ago, St. Vincent Hospital in the Westlake area is set to reopen Monday to care for coronavirus patients, officials said.
Last Monday, California Governor Gavin Newsom named the hospital as one of the many state’s new alternative care sites used in the fight against COVID-19.
St. Vincent, which will be referred to as “L.A.’s surge hospital,” will provide 266 beds for COVID-19 transfer patients from other area hospitals that are potentially too full, in partnership with Los Angeles County, Kaiser and Dignity Health.
Officials said they will be increasing capacity at the hospital at a slow rate.
RELATED: CoronavirusNOW.com, FOX launches national hub for COVID-19 news and updates.
Last month, the state announced it would be leasing the closed hospital that served the city for more than 150 years before shutting its doors in January after owner Verity Health System filed for bankruptcy.
In addition, L.A. Times owner, billionaire Dr. Patrick Soon, offered to buy the hospital for $153 million last week.
L.A. County officials also said medical tents with bends will also be set up at Olive View UCLA and County USC Medical centers.