Officials ID one of two women found dead in Montecito Heights park
LOS ANGELES (FOX 11 / CNS) - One of two young women whose bodies were found in a park in Montecito Heights was identified by the coroner's office Thursday as 19-year-old Gabriela Calzada.
The women's deaths have been classified as homicides, Officer Aareon Jefferson of the Los Angeles Police Departments Media Relations Section said.
The bodies were found about 2:20 p.m. Wednesday near Mercury and Boundary avenues along a walking path through Ernest E. Debs Regional Park, according to the LAPD.
The coroner's office reported that a security hold ordered by investigators precluded the release of the other victim's name.A woman walking her dog came upon the bodies, which were on the side of a hill, and called police, LAPD Officer Matthew Ludwig said Wednesday.
Los Angeles police Capt. Martin Baeza told the Los Angeles Times the women were found fully clothed about 300 yards from the street, and did not appear to have been sexually assaulted. He declined to comment on whether police found obvious signs of trauma on the bodies.
Autopsies to determine the victims' causes of death were pending, according to the coroner's office.
From Phil Shuman:
Ernest Debs Regional Park is a huge oasis of serenity between Pasadena and Downtown Los Angeles. It's almost 300 acres of hiking trails, picnic spots, woods, even a small lake. So you can understand why people were so concerned and upset that the bodies of two young women were found here yesterday afternoon, just off one of the many trails.
In mid afternoon today, the County Coroner still had what's called a ''security hold'' on the case, usually done at the request of police, so even if they two had been ID'd , the information has not yet been released.
We don't know how long they'd been there or even how they died. Police say they were fully clothed, so that tells you something, though that's about all they say. Age? 18 to 30. Ethnicity? Don't have that information. Any obvious signs of trauma? Don't want to talk about that.
Ok, part of the investigative process we understand. What now? Well , last year there were a handful of reports here of a 'flasher'' armed with a knife here. A sketch was distributed, no one was ever caught, patrols were increased , the problem went away. That's a lead the cops say they'll pursue again. Meantime, the Park, not too busy today, won't be the same for those who come here looking for a brief break from the busy city surrounding it.
Copyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook , Twitter and YouTube .