Two people found dead in Hemet motel room, carbon monoxide poisoning may be a factor

Hemet police are investigating after two people were found dead inside a motel room Friday afternoon. 

Police responded to the Coach Light Motel on the 1600 block of W. Florida Ave around 1:13 p.m. after employees at the motel found two unresponsive people inside a room. 

Police say two adults, a male and female, were found dead inside the room. Their names have not yet been released. 

When emergency responders entered the room they say they found very high levels of carbon monoxide inside. They say the room’s heater was still running and it may have been tampered with by the occupants before their deaths. 

Nearby rooms were evacuated as officials investigated. A Southern California Gas representative responded to the scene for assistance. 

Police say the deaths do not appear to be criminal; the investigation is ongoing. 

“Whether at home, or on the road somewhere, the Hemet Police & Fire Departments remind everyone to leave furnace work to professionals. If staying in a hotel or motel, leave the room immediately if there is something wrong with heating equipment and contact the front desk or 911,” the police department wrote in a statement.