LOS ANGELES - It appears the San Fernando Valley is home to some of the most dangerous intersections in Los Angeles, according to reports from the Los Angeles Police Department.
Data compiled by Crosstown LA, a non-profit organization partnered with USC Annenberg, shows that Van Nuys had the most collisions; specifically the intersection of Sepulveda Blvd. and Sherman Way. According to LAPD data 47 collisions were reported in that intersection.
Photo Credit: Google Maps
Data also shows that the third most dangerous intersection is less than a mile away from the first at Sepulveda Blvd. and Burbank Blvd. Forty collisions were reported in that intersection. Also in Van Nuys, Sherman Way and Woodman Ave. is ranked as the 7th most dangerous intersection in the city with 34 collisions reported.
According to data examined by Crosstown, Van Nuys is home to six of the top 20 most dangerous intersections in the city, with nearly 195 collisions reported in 2019.
Below is a list of the top 20 intersections in Los Angeles provided by Crosstown LA.
1. Van Nuys: Sherman Way & Sepulveda Blvd.
2. Vermont Knolls: Manchester Ave. & Figueroa St.
3. Van Nuys: Burbank Blvd. & Sepulveda Blvd.
4. Panorama City: Van Nuys Blvd. & Roscoe Blvd.
5. Valley Glen: Victory Blvd. & Coldwater Canyon Ave.
6. Northridge: Tampa Ave. & Nordhoff St.
7. Van Nuys: Sherman Way & Woodman Ave.
8. Valley Glen: Sherman Way & Coldwater Canyon Ave.
9. Vermont Vista: Imperial Highway & Figueroa St.
10. Lake Balboa: Balboa Blvd. & Victory Blvd.
11. West Hills: Fallbrook Ave. & Victory Blvd.
12. Valley Glen: Sherman Way & Whitsett Ave.
13. Porter Ranch: Devonshire St. & Reseda Blvd.
14. Van Nuys: Sepulveda Blvd. & Victory Blvd.
15. Broadway- Manchester: Imperial Highway & Main St.
16. Van Nuys: Sherman Way & Kester Ave.
17. Panorama City: Van Nuys & Arminta St.
18. Winnetka: Saticoy St. & Winnetka Ave.
19. Van Nuys: Sepulveda Blvd. & Erwin St.
20. Northridge: Tampa St. & Plummer St.
Seventeen intersections are located within the San Fernando Valley.
The top 10 neighborhoods, according to LAPD data for the year of 2019, are Downtown, Van Nuys, Hollywood, Koreatown, Westlake, Boyle Heights, Historic South Central, North Hollywood, Florence and ranking in 10th place is Northridge.
LAPD data on traffic collisions is publicly available for all to see.