Deadly Corona movie theater shooting: Suspect pleads not guilty to charges
RIVERSIDE COUNTY, Calif. - The man accused of killing two teens inside a movie theater in Corona in late July was arraigned Monday and entered pleas of not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity, officials said.
In addition, a felony settlement conference is set for Jan. 28 at 8:30 a.m., the Riverside County District Attorney announced.
The victims, 18-year-old Rylee Goodrich and 19-year-old Anthony Barajas, and the suspect, Joseph Jimenez, were three of the six people who were inside the cinema during a showing of "The Forever Purge," during the attack, according to the Corona Police Department. The horror film centers around lawless murders, however, authorities do not believe the violence in the film was related to the shootings.
MOVIE THEATER SHOOTING
On July 26 around 11:45 a.m., Corona PD received a 911 call for service from the Regal Edwards Theater at the Crossings Shopping Center. Once at the theater, arriving officers discovered two victims suffering from gunshot wounds inside the cinema near their seats.
Cpl. Kouroubacalis with Corona PD said detectives are unable to use surveillance footage for the investigation because no cameras were recording inside the theater at the time of the shooting.
Officials said 18-year-old Rylee Goodrich was pronounced dead at the scene while 19-year-old Anthony Barajas was rushed to a local trauma center where he died days later.
- Movie theater shooting: TikTok star Anthony Barajas dies days after being placed on life support
- Movie theater shooting victim Anthony Barajas remembered as leader, philanthropist
THE ARREST OF JOSEPH JIMENEZ
Corona PD detectives issued a search warrant at a home in the El Cerrito neighborhood located near the 15 Freeway and East Ontario Avenue the night of July 27. Investigators were led to the suspect’s home after interviewing witnesses and an anonymous tip.
The Riverside County Gang Impact Team (GIT) was part of the search team, however, the suspect is not a registered gang member, Cpl. Tobias Kouroubacalis said.
While at the home, authorities discovered a handgun and other evidence that connected to the shooting. Cpl. Kouroubacalis said during a press conference that the shell casings found at the theater matched the caliber of the weapon.
Jimenez, 20, was subsequently arrested and taken into custody.
He was booked into the Riverside Presley Detention Center on charges of murder, robbery with a gun and attempted murder on a $2,000,000 bail. He now faces two murder charges after Barajas, who initially survived the shooting, passed away at a local trauma center.
WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE VICTIMS
Rylee Goodrich was going into her sophomore year at Grand Canyon University on a full scholarship to study marketing.
She was a graduate of Corona High School "but she wanted to go into criminal justice and had been working with me this summer in my Private Investigator job," her grieving dad Dave Goodrich said.
FOX 11 (FOX 11)
In an interview with FOX 11, her father questioned why there were no metal detectors at the theater. He said the two were on their first date and that Barajas was "a boy her dad actually approved of.
RELATED: Dad who lost daughter in movie theater shooting wonders why there were no metal detectors
Anthony Barajas. (FOX 11)
Anthony Barajas, known as @itsanthonymichael on social media, has a large following, including nearly 930,000 followers on TikTok.
While the suspect and the victims are close in age, Corona PD investigators do not believe the victims and the suspect knew one another prior to the shooting. Officials also do not believe Barajas' social media fame played a role in the attack.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Corona PD. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call 951-817-5837.
The investigation is ongoing.
Tune in to FOX 11 Los Angeles for the latest Southern California news.