3 people found dead of gas poisoning in Hawaiian Gardens home

Three women were found dead Monday inside a home in Hawaiian Gardens from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

Deputies were dispatched to 11814 223rd St. at 7:38 a.m. on a report of a person not breathing and discovered the bodies, said Sgt. Paul Jernigan of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Lakewood station.

Two women in their 60s and one in her 70s were found dead at the scene, said Art Marrujo, dispatch supervisor with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

One of the women was found in a bedroom, while the other two were found in the garage, he said.

A car was still running when responding deputies arrived at the home, Marrujo said.

Three deputies who inhaled the chemical had to be hospitalized and were later released, he said.

The three victims were related, LASD homicide Lt. Steve Jauch told news media outlets. Another relative discovered the bodies, he told the media.

It's unclear, however, whether the deaths were an accident, a suicide or a homicide, Jauch told news media outlets.

An investigation was ongoing.

Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles: Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.