Teen nearly dies after swallowing toothpick in sandwich

A professional athlete who swallowed a toothpick nearly died after suffering from a string of horrifying health problems, medical officials said.

The unidentified 18-year-old male athlete was admitted to the hospital after he experienced fevers, suffered from abdominal pain and had bloody stool, according to a report from the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday.

He reportedly went to the emergency room, but wasn't diagnosed with anything specific. Several visits with medical professionals later, it was still unclear what was wrong with the athlete.

When the man developed a 105-degree temperature, he underwent a colonoscopy. Doctors discovered a toothpick, almost two inches big, lodged inside his colon. It had pierced an artery and allowed bacteria to enter his bloodstream.

Read full story @ FOXNews.com