LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11/CNS) - Traffic was flowing normally at LAX Saturday despite demonstrations both for and against President Trump's immigration restrictions, which went off as planned even though enforcement of the policy has been suspended by the Department of Homeland Security in the wake of a federal judge's ruling.
A number of civil liberties and immigrant rights groups showed up to protest the ban in demonstrations that were organized before Friday's ruling.
Protesters gathered around noon at Tom Bradley International Terminal.
A group of pro-ban demonstrators also gathered at the terminal to show their support for the policy.
Flight operations were proceeding as scheduled and traffic around the LAX Central Terminal was flowing normally as of 2:30 p.m., according to Nancy Castles, public relations director for the airport.
Airport officials are advising passengers to plan ahead and to monitor the Twitter sites @FlyLAXairport and @LAAirportPD and the website www.lawa.org/welcomeLAX.aspx for real-time airport conditions.
Trump's executive order, which banned indefinitely all refugees from Syria entering the United States, blocked all refugee admissions for 120 days, and also stopped all refugee and non-refugee entries from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen and Syria for 90 days.
Judge James Hobart, a federal judge based in Washington state, halted enforcement of the order in a ruling issued Friday night. The DHS said Saturday it has suspended all efforts to enforce the order and has resumed previously
established screening procedures.
``In accordance with the judge's ruling, DHS has suspended any and all actions implementing the affected sections of the Executive Order...'' said Gillian M. Christensen, acting press secretary for the DHS. ``This includes
actions to suspend passenger system rules that flag travelers for operational action subject to the Executive Order.
``DHS personnel will resume inspection of travelers in accordance with standard policy and procedure. At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this order and defend the President's Executive Order, which is lawful and appropriate. The Order is intended to protect the homeland and the American people, and the President has no higher duty and responsibility than to do so.''
Trump has said the restrictions are meant to more thoroughly vet immigrants from countries that have a large organized terror presence. Opponents have criticized the order as confusing, punitive and un-American.
Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook , Twitter , Instagram , and YouTube . Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid - download the Fresco News App today.