Patient passes gas during surgery igniting fire
NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - A woman in her 30s undergoing surgery at a hospital in Tokyo started a fire in the operating room after she passed gas.
According to the The Asahi Shombin, the operation involved using a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus.
The laser is believed to have ignited the gas.
The fire at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital on April 15 burned much of her body, including her waist and legs.
A report about the incident was only released by the hospital on Oct. 28.
"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire," The Asahi Shombin reported.