Remembering LASD Deputy Alfredo 'Freddy' Flores

Mourners gathered Thursday to honor the memory of a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who died months after being injured at a mobile shooting range at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic.

Services were held at St. Didacus Catholic Church in Sylmar for Deputy Alfredo "Freddy" Flores, 51, who died April 20. Flores was a 22-year veteran of the force. 

"I would like to extend our deepest condolences to the entire Flores family," Sheriff Robert Luna said at the services.

"Our hearts are with you, and we offer you our continued support -- as a department and as a law enforcement family, because all of you will always be part of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department family," Luna said.

Deputy Flores was seriously injured during a training exercise that sparked a fire on Oct. 10, 2023. He passed away in April from his injuries. 

The Flores' family attorney says the cause of the fire was due to an equipment malfunction. Another deputy was also injured. 

"While law enforcement officers and their families are acutely aware of the inherent risks associated with the position, nothing could have prepared us for his untimely departure due to injuries sustained stemming from the malfunction of equipment during a training drill. Freddy's loss is a devastating blow, and we are struggling to come to terms with this unimaginable tragedy. We thank the community for their support during this incredibly difficult time," his family said in a statement provided through their lawyer, Joe A. Nunez.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: LASD Deputy Alfredo Flores dies months after being injured during training exercise

According to the LASD, Flores worked at various departments including the Sylmar juvenile office, Altadena Station, Court Services West Bureau, and the North County Correctional Facility. 

"He was well-respected in the Department and in the community and his passing will leave a huge void in the hearts of many who knew him. Our continued thoughts and prayers are with the Flores family, friends, and colleagues during this tragic time," the LASD said in a statement.

An investigation into the incident continues.