Illicit drug lab causes fire, explosion in Anaheim
ANAHEIM, Calif. (FOX 11) - Officials confirmed Thursday an explosion at a strip mall in Anaheim was caused by an illicit butane honey oil lab.
Police continued to look for a possible suspect that was seen running from a drug lab explosion with "extensive burns" at a strip mall in Anaheim Wednesday evening.
Firefighters and police arrived at the strip mall just before 10:00 p.m. Authorities determined an illegal drug lab was being operated at the smoke shop in the 400 block of South Euclid Street, located near the intersection of West Broadway Road.
The strip mall fire was quickly extinguished, Anaheim Fire and Rescue said.
Numerous cans of butane were found at the rear of one of the businesses and it appeared someone was trying to extract honey oil, AFR Capt.Mark Dunn said. Honey oil is usually consumed by smoking, vaporizing or eating and may be sold in cartridges used with pen vaporizers.
The location of the fire exclusively manufactured THC edibles and THC wax, authorities said. Officials are working to determine who leased the suite.
A witness at the scene stated that he saw a man in his 30s with extensive burns to his face, arms and legs running away from the location. The witness, who owns a business in the strip mall, said his place
rocked when the explosion occurred and he thought another earthquake had struck.
The fire was caused when the butane came into contact with an ignition source during a "Butane honey oil" extraction, causing the explosion and fire to ignite outside the back of the business, fire investigators said.
The physical damage was estimated to about $20,000.
Anyone who sees a person in this condition was asked to call Anaheim police immediately.
CNS contributed to this report