LOS ANGELES - Tuition at California State University is getting more expensive.
The CSU Board of Trustees on Wednesday approved a multi-year 6% tuition hike that applies to all Cal State schools.
Here are the approved figures for the tuition increase for undergraduates, which begin in fall 2024:
- 2024-25 school year: $6,084 (up from $5,742)
- 2025-26 school year: $6,450
- 2026-27 school year: $6,840
- 2027-28 school year: $7,248
- 2028-29 school year: $7,682
The tuition increase is projected to generate $148 million in new revenue, but the system would also increase student financial aid by $49 million.
University officials said revenue increases are needed to cover a roughly $1.5 billion budget shortfall. CSU officials told reporters earlier this month said the university has already implemented steep cost-cutting measures, but without additional revenue, it could be forced to cut course offerings or other services.
The university also noted that more than half of CSU students have either part or all of their tuition covering by grants or scholarships.
- Making history: Mildred García becomes first Latina chancellor of CSU system
- Homeless in college: Woman, university helping struggling students at Cal State Long Beach
- UC, CSU schools are unaffordable: poll
Trustee Jack McGrory said raising student costs is a difficult decision, but he noted that 60% of the CSU system's funding is state money while the other 40% is from student tuition.
"We've had only one increase in tuition in 12 years," he said. "That's not a business model that's going to work long-term. It's not sustainable.
"I know it's tough to do this, we don't like it. ... But we've got to make the numbers work. And we've got to do something long-term that makes sense and continues the quality of education we have on these 23 campuses."
The tuition hike does require the CSU to perform an assessment of the impacts of the increase on students, which will factor into the decision of whether to continue the tuition hikes beyond the five years in the current package.
The California Faculty Association union called the proposed tuition hike a "shocking and unconscionable" measure that would bump student costs by 34% over the five-year period.
City News Service contributed to this report.