Two dogs bitten by rattlesnakes at Los Angeles park, killing one and critically injuring the other
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11) - Wildlife officials are warning pet owners after two dogs were bitten by rattlesnakes at a local park, killing one and critically injuring the other.
According to "The Barking Bunch," a dog group for hikers, the two dogs were bitten on Monday at Laurel Canyon Dog Park while under the supervision of a dog walker. One of the pups died instantly, the other, a pup named Lily, was taken to a local animal hospital in critical condition.
According to Lily's owner, the dog was bitten in the face, causing immense swelling with no signs of reduction. The pup had to undergo two doses of anti-venom and a blood transfusion. Thankfully, Lily is expected to be okay and is now recovering at home.
Wildlife officials said that if your dog is bitten by a rattlesnake, don't try to scare away the snake -- because it might try to strike back. Without putting yourself in further danger, act quickly to remove both yourself and your pet from the snake. Snakes have a very wide striking distance, so make sure to distance yourself from the reptile.
The next thing you need to do is call emergency vet services immediately. Venom enters the bloodstream as soon as your dog has been bitten, which means they need emergency veterinary treatment as soon as possible. The sooner you can get on the phone with veterinary emergency services, the better.