3 middle school students hospitalized after overdosing on cannabis at Moreno Valley school

Three students were hospitalized after potentially overdosing on cannabis at a school in Moreno Valley, Riverside County Fire reported. 

Paramedics responded to Sunnymead Middle School Wednesday morning for reports of an overdose. 

According to the fire department, four minors were treated; three were transported to the hospital and one was evaluated on scene. Investigators say the students had upset stomachs and pale complexions. 

It's believed the substance the students ingested was cannabis in the form of candy.  

"Even though marijuana is now legal it’s important that you have those items in your house that you ensure that they are secured and your kids don’t have access to them and they are made aware that they are not to touch them, take them or share them with others," said Sgt. Deirdre Vickers, Spokeswoman for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. 

Parents were notified of the incident through email. 

"Coming here and finding out that kids ingested whatever that’s scary for parents, single parents like myself that’s just extremely scary," said parent Ray Ruffin. 

The school principal sent the following statement to parents and guardians, "Today our school had emergency vehicles respond to campus. The response was due to a medical incident with a few students. The parents of the students were contacted. Other students were not involved and we are further investigating the incident. We are unable to share additional information as it was an isolated incident. As you know, the safety and security of our students is always our top priority. We also want to clearly communicate with our parents when incidents arise."

RELATED: 10 students at Southern California middle school treated for possible cannabis overdoses

Just one week ago, ten students at Van Nuys Middle School were treated for an overdose involving edible cannabis.