Woman lighting matches in dark may have caused fire in South LA duplex

A woman lighting matches may have sparked a fire in a duplex in South Los Angeles that firefighters were able to extinguish in about 10 minutes Wednesday morning.

Crews responded about 12:30 a.m. to the home located near the intersection of 83rd Street and McKinley Avenue, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Neighbors armed with garden hoses tried to extinguish the flames before firefighters arrived, but the flames were too intense.

A woman reportedly told firefighters at the scene that she started the fire by lighting matches in the dark.

No injuries were reported.

CNS contributed to this report.