Iran latest: Iran showing strength as War Powers Resolution looms

A congressional push to force President Donald Trump to win lawmakers' approval to continue with the war in Iran was given a major boost Tuesday and could receive an even bigger one on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, the Senate voted to advance a war powers resolution that requires the president to get congressional approval for the Iran war. Without that approval, he would be required to pull out American forces. 

Democrats had tried multiple times to force such a vote, but have been stymied every time, until now, after Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy switched sides to support the measures. Cassidy’s move comes just days after he lost the GOP primary to retain his seat.

Now, on Wednesday, the House is expected to vote on a similar proposal and Democrats are confident that it will pass. The vote comes after one last week failed when lawmakers split evenly on the resolution.

Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115) enforces a maritime blockade against an Iranian-flagged ship attempting to sail toward an Iranian port, April 24, 2026. (U.S. Navy photo)

The Senate’s approval came on the same day as the aborted U.S. assault on Iran was supposed to proceed. Trump revealed the U.S. planned a large-scale attack Monday when he announced that it was delayed at the request of other Middle Eastern nations who are working on an agreement with Iran.

Here's the latest:

Iranian oil tanker boarded

1:01 p.m. ET: United States Central Command posted on X that marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded an Iranian commercial oil tanker attempting to violate the U.S. blockade. 

The total amount of ships redirected now stands at 91. 

90 ships turned around

11:35 a.m. ET: United States Naval forces has turned around 90 Iranian-flagged vessels at the blockade in the Arabian Sea. Additionally, four more vessels have been disabled to ensure compliance. 

Trump ‘in no hurry’ to make a deal

11:22 a.m. ET: President Trump spoke with reporters on his way to a speaking engagement at the United States Coast Guard Academy. He was asked if he would prefer a partial deal with Iran that just included the Strait of Hormuz. 

"We'd have to open the strait, that would open immediately. So we're going to give this one shot. I'm in no hurry," Trump said. "You know everyone thinks ‘oh the midterms, I'm in a hurry.’ I’m in no hurry."

Iran continues to prepare for war

6:35 a.m. ET: The Iranian government and state television continue to urge the public to join the "Janfada" and take up arms in the war with the United States. 

As the ceasefire has taken place over the past few weeks, both sides remain ready for fight again, with Iran publicly showing weapons training and calls for mass mobilization. 

"Definitely we will stand against (the Americans) and won’t give up even an inch of our soil," said Mofidi, who has taken up weapons training in Iran. "No matter if they come from the sea or land, we will stand by our flag."
 

The Source: Information for this article was taken from FOX News and the Associated Press. This story was reported from Orlando.

Iran WarWorldWorldIran