Another horse euthanized after suffering injury during training at Santa Anita race track

(FOX 11 Los Angeles)

Another horse has died at the Santa Anita race track. Four-year-old Zeke was euthanized after suffering an injury during training on Monday at the track.

Santa Anita Park officials say Zeke's rider saw there was a problem with the horse while working on the training track. A team of veterinarians evaluated Zeke and determined the type of injury it suffered -- a pelvic fracture, would not be able to be repaired to "support continual weight on all four legs, a must for a horse's survival," according to a statement released by the Santa Anita Park.

Officials say Zeke was initially stable following the injury but his condition deteriorated later in the evening.

"Everyone at Santa Anita and throughout The Stronach Group is devastated by this loss," said Dr. Dionne Benson, Chief Veterinarian for The Stronach Group. "We are carefully reviewing what factors could have contributed to Zeke's injury.  Santa Anita will continue to work closely with the California Horse Racing Board and will continue to be transparent with our stakeholders and all of our constituents, including the public, as more facts come in.  Zeke will undergo a necropsy run by the University of California  Davis' School of Veterinary Medicine, as is mandatory for all on-track accidents. The accident and the necropsy report will be reviewed by the California Horse Racing Board team to learn what, if anything, could have been done to have prevented the accident."

Race track officials say every horse who works a timed training run at Santa Anita Park is required to undergo the same safety protocol, which includes applying 48-hours in advance to work, evaluation of their recent workout and racing history to identify risk factors, and a physical examination by an association veterinarian for approximately 20% of those horses.

Every horse is also required to be examined by that horse's private veterinarian within five days prior to its workout, park officials said.