GARDEN GROVE, Calif. - The city of Garden Grove announced Wednesday that it would be reopening all park tennis and handball courts, beginning Friday, under certain social distancing restrictions.
The reopening only applies to the courts within the city limits. The city said the decision follows Governor Gavin Newsom’s implementation of "Stage 2" of the resilience roadmap by adaptively re-opening lower-risk businesses and public spaces, expected to begin this Friday.
Players are asked to keep at least six feet of distance between themselves and others, with other restrictions including:
• No doubles play, singles play only
• No congregating or lingering on or near the courts before or after play
• No non-tennis activities on tennis courts, or spectators
• No playing if exhibiting symptoms of illness or been in contact over the last 14 days with someone having COVID-19
• Players must adherence to other US Tennis Association recommendations such as not picking up balls by hand, not sharing racquets or personal equipment, no handshakes or high-fives, and avoiding touching gates, fences, benches, and other court amenities
The city will be installing signage at all park tennis courts outlining the social distancing guidelines.