Life in prison for man who kidnapped, killed 3-week-old girl

- An Oceanside man convicted of kidnapping and murdering a 3-week-old Long Beach girl whose body was found in a San Diego County trash bin and trying to kill the baby's parents and uncle, along with a separate attack on a woman in an El Segundo hotel room, was sentenced Monday to nearly 142 years to life in state prison.

Anthony Ray McCall, 32, was found guilty guilty on March 2 of one count each of first-degree murder, kidnapping and attempted kidnapping, along with four counts of attempted murder. A Long Beach jury deliberated less than three hours before returning the verdict against the defendant, whose attorney had claimed his client "was set up to take the fall for crimes he didn't commit.''

Co-defendant Giseleangelique Rene D'Milian pleaded no contest Jan. 5 to one count of first-degree murder for the January 2015 killing of Eliza De La Cruz, along with two counts of attempted murder involving the baby's father and uncle. The 50-year-old Thousand Oaks woman was immediately sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison.

Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes told the jury that D'Milian needed to get hold of a newborn child after falsely telling a boyfriend she had been pregnant with twins, so she followed the 3-week-old girl and her mother, Jacqueline Honorato, home from a bus stop. McCall -- a close friend and associate of D'Milian -- took the baby from her mother's arms and shot Honorato and the baby's father and uncle on Jan. 3, 2015, with a gun using silencers made from potatoes, the prosecutor said.

The baby's kidnapping was "all over the news,'' and the next day the infant -- who died of axphyxiation -- was found thrown away "like trash'' in a plastic trash bag that had been left in a dumpster in Imperial Beach, along with items on which McCall's DNA was found, including the knot on the top of the trash bag, Barnes said.

The prosecutor said "the defendant did not stop there because D'Milian still needed a baby,'' telling jurors that the mother of another infant was lured to a hotel room in El Segundo on Feb. 6, 2015, in an effort to kidnap her baby. That woman screamed for help while being beaten with a baseball bat and other hotel guests notified the front desk staff, who summoned police.

In sentencing McCall, Judge Judith L. Meyer called it "a tragic situation.'' She said she was most appalled by wiretap evidence presented during the trial involving a phone call between the defendant and another accomplice, in which McCall said he "did it out of the sheer kindness of my heart.'' The judge said she didn't know how anyone could say such a thing regarding a baby.

Barnes said the primary victims decided against making statements at the defendant's sentencing, deciding it was too emotional for them to come to court.

But the victim of the El Segundo attack, Hannah Salazar, addressed the court.

"I don't know why this happened to me,'' she said.

The mother, father and uncle of the 3-week-old girl did testify during the trial.

In emotional testimony, the infant's mother said she pleaded with her assailant not to take her baby from her, and that she unsuccessfully tried to chase after him.

"I couldn't do anything to stop him,'' Honorato said.

She said she could hear the voice of a woman telling the baby, ``I'm your new mommy.'' She said the voice was the same as the woman who had approached her that afternoon, asked her how old the baby was and offered her a ride home, which she declined.

"Did you ever see her (Eliza) again?'' the prosecutor asked.

"No,'' the woman said, crying.

The baby's father, Eddy De La Cruz, said he was shot in a leg and only saw his daughter one last time when he was shown a photo of her by police trying to identify the dead infant.

McCall and D'Milian were arrested in March 2015 by Long Beach police, who said detectives had reviewed extensive video surveillance footage and determined that a black Range Rover had followed the mother and baby before the shooting that day. Detectives said they also learned that their counterparts in El Segundo were investigating the attack on the mother of a 4-month-old boy.

A third defendant, Todd Damon Boudreaux, 46, pleaded guilty in October 2016 to being an accessory after the fact, and he was sentenced Monday to time he had already served behind bars.

Copyright 2018 FOX 11 Los Angeles: Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories