(FOX 11) - You may want to pass on that next slice of birthday cake after reading this.
A recent study, 'Bacterial Transfer Associated with Blowing Out Candles on a Birthday Cake', was published in the Journal of Food Research. confirms that blowing out candles on a cake spreads germs by an astounding 1400%!
The study was done by researchers who spread icing on two fake birthday cakes and had people blow out the candles on one of them, but of course they ate pizza first.
Researchers found that 'the transfer of oral bacteria and other microorganisms from the respiratory tract of a person blowing out candles to food consumed by others is likely,' according to the study.
Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.