Munich police say 10 killed, including likely shooter

- The police chief in Munich, Germany, says it was an 18-year-old German-Iranian man who opened fire in a crowded shopping mall and a nearby McDonald's on Friday night, killing nine people and wounding 16 others before killing himself. He says the shooter was not previously known to police and there's no evidence of any links to terrorist organizations. Police believe he acted alone.
 
"At the moment no culprit has been arrested," police in the Bavarian capital said on social media. Germany's elite GSG9 anti-terror unit and federal police were called in to help in the manhunt. "The search is taking place at high speed."

The city of Munich sent a smartphone alert telling people to stay indoors and German rail company Deutsche Bahn stopped train traffic to Munich's main station.

Police said witnesses reported seeing three people with guns near the Olympia Einkaufszentrum mall.

Police could not say how many people were wounded. Munich police spokesman Marcus Martins said a ninth body had been found and police were "intensively examining" whether it might be one of the suspects. That body was not found in the mall but police did not say exactly where it was.

The city sent a smartphone alert declaring an "emergency situation" and telling people to stay indoors and German rail company Deutsche Bahn stopped train traffic to Munich's main station.

Munich police spokeswoman Claudia Kuenzel told The Associated Press there were "several dead and wounded" in the shooting. She could not provide exact numbers. Bavarian public broadcaster Bayrischer Rundfunk and Munich-based Focus magazine, citing sources they did not identify, said six people were killed.

Munich police spokesman Thomas Baumann told German news agency dpa the attack started at a fast food restaurant in the mall shortly before 6 p.m. local time.

Bayrischer Rundfunk reported that shops in the center of Munich had closed with customers inside though police said reports of shots fired at a location downtown had been a false alarm.

Police responded in large numbers to the mall in the northern part of Munich, not far from the city's Olympic Stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.

It was the second attack in Germany in less than a week. On Monday, a 17-year-old Afghan wounded four people in an ax-and-knife attack on a regional train near the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg, and another woman outside as he fled. All survived, although one man from the train remains in life-threatening condition. The attacker was shot and killed by police.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the train attack, but authorities have said the teen likely acted alone.

Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories