Trump campaign still in defense mode two days after Melania's speech

- It's been two days since Melania Trump took the stage at the Republican National Convention and took a few of Michelle Obama's words from her 2008 Democratic National Convention speech. 

The Trump campaign is still addressing concerns about the copying. 

On Wednesday morning, speech writer Meredith McIver, an in-house staff writer at the Trump Organization, took the blame. 

In a statement, McIver says in-part Melania has always liked Michelle Obama.

"Over the phone, she read me some passages from Mrs. Obama's speech as examples. I wrote them down and later included some of the phrasing in the draft that ultimately became the final speech. I did not check Mrs. Obama's speeches. That was my mistake," said McIver. 

The statement contradicts ones previously made by Trump campaign which denied plagiarism charges.  

John Gibson from Fox News radio says this won’t hurt Trump. 

"People in our business have been saying that Donald Trump has been stepping on land mines for a year now and it really makes no difference," said Gibson.

Trump tweeted the media coverage made a difference but for the better. 

"Good news is Melania's speech got more publicity than any in the history of politics especially if you believe that all press is good press!"

Gibson says even though speech-gate has spilled into a third day, Trump's former nemesis will likely be stealing the spotlight Wednesday night. 

"The action tonight is about Ted Cruz. Is he going to endorse Donald Trump, will he not? And I think that will be on tomorrow's news cycle," said Gibson. 

Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los AngelesDownload our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories