Mother Speaks Out On Son's Violent Arrest Following Horseback Pursuit

(FOX 11) - The mother of the man seen beaten by San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies at the end of a pursuit is speaking out in defense of her son.

RELATED | 10 Calif. Deputies Put On Leave After Video Shows Suspect's Beating
RELATED | Lawyer: Client Doing Fairly Well After San Bernardino Deputy Beating

Anne Clemenson says the incident which has been seen across the globe due to a news helicopter flying overhead was not the first time her son was roughed up during an encounter with law enforcement.

She tells FOX 11's Christine O'Donnell that her son was running from police not because of his criminal record, but because he was afraid of what they would do to him.

The pursuit happened when deputies attempted to serve a warrant at an Apple Valley home as part of an identity theft investigation. That's when Pusok led deputies on a three-hour chase that started in a car and ended on horseback Thursday.

The chase ended with a news helicopter capturing up to 10 officers tasing, punching and kicking Pusok after he had surrendered. After the video went viral, he sheriff has placed all 10 officers on leave after pending an internal investigation.

Clemenson says she went to the Victorville courthouse hoping to see her son in person after he was bailed out of West County Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga around 7 p.m. Sunday.

"It's been horrific. My son has told me many times that he felt his death would be from the officers. I believe that after I see what happened," Clemenson said.

She says her son was 11-years-old the first time police used excessive force to detain him.

"My son and these other kids got into fight," she said. She went on to explain that their family dog had nipped one of the kids in the leg and police were called. When they got there she says they "threw my son on the ground like he was a criminal, ever since then we stopped trusting police."

Pusok had another run in with San Bernardino County Sheriff's in Nov. 2013. He was arrested for the shooting death of a dog. He was charged with criminal threats, cruelty to animals and vandalism.

Despite his previous convictions, Clemenson says her son should not have been treated the way he was during the most recent arrest.

"Officers shouldn't be in this field if they can't talk to a person first before beating them. He had surrendered, he was laying on the ground, they tased him three times because you can see him convulse from that, and they just kept beating him. And then, I thought, he's going to be dead. So people keep praying for my son," Clemenson said.

She says he's been complaining of dizziness and headaches since the arrest.

Pusok is facing felony reckless evading, grand theft and receiving stolen property charges. He's expected to be back in court on June 16.

From Phil Shuman:

Francis Pusok, out on bail , spent most of the day inside one of his lawyers offices in the community of Victorville. When he left, he was dressed in a dark shirt and tie, the only way you'd know he was the victim of a beating was the big dark black eye on the left side of his face. He said nothing to reporters, on the advice of those lawyers, as he got into and was driven away to locations unknown. But his mother, Ann Clemenson, who was also in the meeting, had plenty to say about her 30-year-old son, ''her baby'' she called him. " I don't like to swear but the last few days have been hell.

Not knowing if he was dead or alive after Thursday night. "Given a past which included jail time for him, she acknowledges he's not angel, as I put it to her, but she said ''none of us are, we all make mistakes. But that's in the past, it's what the police did to him that they need to be held accountable. '' You may have seen the video by now, captured by KNBC's helicopter. Pusok, a 30-year-old unemployed unmarried father of three had been running from police in a vehicle, allegedly stole a horse, of all things, and the chase continued into a remote hilly area of Apple Valley .

They reportedly wanted to talk to him for an identity theft case. When it ended, he was tased then clearly kicked and hit repeatedly in video that has now, as they say , ''gone viral'' . It is the latest sensational police abuse case to get national attention, you knew that was going to happen, and it should.  Pusok, who has not yet been charged but most likely will be, had his arraignment postponed today but he's due back in court in June for a bail review hearing. His lawyers are no doubt readying a suit against the county for excessive use of force, the FBI has announced its own investigation, and 10 member of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, including a Sergeant, have been suspended indefinitely while they do their own internal investigation. The Sheriff has said the video is ''troubling'' . No doubt he'll have a lot more to say at some point in the future. So will a lot of people.

Copyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles | Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories