Man Shocked, Falls 100 Feet From Electrical Pole In Boyle Heights

BOYLE HEIGHTS (CNS/FOX 11) - A man in his early 40s suffered electrical burns and other major injuries early Saturday in Boyle Heights after being shocked by a high tension wire and then falling an estimated 100 feet onto pads placed on the ground, authorities said.

A Los Angeles Police Department Hollenbeck Division officer said the man climbed an electrical pole at the intersection of Marengo and North State streets about 1:50 a.m.

The officer said the man touched a 360-volt line about 3:15 a.m. and was thrown off the pole by the shock and struck a traffic light during his fall.

Both the officer and a videographer at the scene said the man had begun to descend the pole, but then changed his mind and climbed up again.

The videographer said the man was sitting on a ledge of the pole, then pushed himself sideways and grabbed the high voltage line.

The videographer said the man's fall was broken by one of two rescue pads set up by Los Angeles County Fire Department firefighters.

The man was taken to a hospital, where he was in critical condition, said Officer Liliana Preciado of the LAPD's Media Relations Section.

Copyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles | Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories