HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (FOX 11) - An arraignment is scheduled Tuesday for the man charged with stealing a statue of Marilyn Monroe from the top of a gazebo in Hollywood. Authorities said the Glendale native is the same person who used a pickax to smash President Trump's star on the Walk of Fame last year.
Austin Mikel Clay was charged with one felony count for grand theft of property valued at more than $950 and one felony count for vandalism causing damage of over $400.
- Marilyn Monroe statue stolen from Hollywood gazebo, police say
- Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame destroyed
A witness at the time of the incident told the Los Angeles Police Department that they saw a man with a hacksaw climb up the Ladies of Hollywood gazebo. The stolen Monroe statue that went missing the night of June 16 replicated her iconic white dress scene in "The Seven Year Itch" and was dedicated in 1994.
Clay was taken into custody by police on June 21. If convicted of these charges, Clay would face up to three years in jail. Prosecutors recommended that bail be set at $45,000.