One man injured from explosion in Azusa neighborhood

- As of Monday night, residents in an Azusa neighborhood where an explosion occurred at a house were allowed back into their homes after being evacuated earlier that morning.

The incident took place on the 1000 block of North Sunset Avenue around 8:30 a.m. according to police.

Neighbors described to FOX 11 how they heard and felt the explosion.

"I was just drinking my tea," said Marvin Javier who was awake working from home when he heard "a loud thump".

"Sounded like a sonic boom. It's like an earthquake without the shake."

The windows at Thomas Rojas' home, however, did shake.

"And when I heard it, the windows kind of shook," Rojas told FOX 11.

Azusa police said they reported to the house after getting calls from neighbors around 8:30 a.m.

Lieutenant Xavier Torres with Azusa PD said a man who lived at the residence was seriously injured.

"He had extensive burns on his body from fire or explosion."

Torres added that investigators found chemicals on the property that could have been inflammable or explosive.

Los Angeles County Fire Department officials told reporter Leah Uko that potassium perchlorate and aluminum power were removed from the home. The materials could make flash powder, which they said was often used with pyrotechnics -- common ingredients in fireworks.

The materials or chemicals found prompted law enforcement to evacuate neighbors near the home and students at Longfellow Elementary as a precaution. Another school was placed on a lockdown.
 
"The other school, Hodge, was placed on lockdown, but has since been released," Lt. Torres said.

The students were taken to Mountain View Elementary. Dozens of parents, like William Morris were relieved when he picked up his 4-year-old son from the school.

"They took precautions and they acted at first response and they got the kids out and moved them to Mountain View," he said referring to Longfellow Elementary School's response. "I'm happy with that."

Azusa Unified School District's spokesperson, Tim McGillivary said the district's staff acted responsibly, quickly and safely as it notified parents where their kids were by sending out three phone messages.

The injured man's condition and name were unknown as of Monday evening. Torres said he was taken to a local trauma center.

The cause was still unknown and under investigation. No one was initially charged in connection with the incident.

Leah Uko contributed to this report. To stay up to date with her news coverage, connect with her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @LeahUko.

Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los AngelesDownload our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on FacebookTwitter , Instagram and YouTube.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories