HOLLYWOOD (FOX 11 / CNS) - A 32-year-old man suspected of assaulting another man on the Hollywood/Vine Metro Red Line station platform was arrested Thursday, the sheriff's department reported.
James A. Hanson of Culver City was arrested about 1 p.m. and booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon likely to produce great bodily injury, according to Ramon Montenegro of the Sheriff's Transit Policing Division.
Hanson allegedly used his hands and feet as weapons in the attack, which occurred about 1 a.m. Tuesday, Montenegro said.
Deputies had been called to the station at the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street to investigate an assault report but didn't find a victim, suspect or any witnesses who would speak to them, Montenegro said.
Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics also arrived and checked but were unable to locate anyone, he said.
"Later in the day a news media outlet advised deputies that video had been posted to social media,'' he said.
"Deputies were able to make contact with the man who posted the video to his Facebook page and were able to ascertain that he was a witness to the assault,'' Montenegro said.
Subsequent news reports about the attack prompted the victim to come forward, who made a report and was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries that he suffered. The coverage also helped generate tips that ultimately led investigators to Hanson, Montenegro said.
"Hanson has admitted to his role in the assault and has been booked at the sheriff's Century Regional Detention Facility (in Lynwood) ... , Montenegro said. "He is being held in lieu of $50,000 bail.''
Hanson is scheduled to be arraigned early next week, Montenegro said.
Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles: Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.