LOS ANGELES, Calif - In the heart of Downtown Los Angeles, on Pico and Central, you’ll find this small family owned business that started back in 1929. Owner Mark Bianchetti says, “It’s kind of unique, you don’t see too many beef companies in LA.”
People’s Sausage Company manufactures ready to eat beef jerky that is distributed all over the country. It was started by John Bianchetti, passed on to his son Paul, who passed it on to Mark. Mark’s son Brian is already in this business. He says, “I always knew I wanted to stay in the family business. To me there’s heritage, there’s tradition. I knew it was something that I wanted to do.” Their specialty is People’s Choice Beef Jerky. Here’s how it’s done.
First, the meat is put into a slicing machine. Then, it is marinated inside a big tumbler. The meat is taken out and placed on trays that will end up in the oven, drying for about three hours.
The entire process takes about 6 hours. Workers produce about 2500 pounds a day of finished product.
The Bianchetti’s say the key to their success is simple: hard work and really good employees. Mark says, “We’ve had employees who’ve worked here for over to 20 years. They are the life-blood of this company. If it wasn’t for the employee, we would not exist.” Mark’s advice to anyone starting a business, “Perseverance. Things aren’t always good, they’re not always easy, they’re hard. Nothing replaces hard work.”
If you would like to make beef jerky at home, Bianchetti offers this recipe:
- Extra Lean Beef (the leaner the better – remove as much fat as possible)
- Beef cuts – Top Round, Brisket, Flank Steak are a few that you can buy at your local grocery store.
- Thickness of cut – 1/4 inch is perfect.
- Ingredients - Use a marinade of your choice with seasonings and liquids.
- Soak the product for a minimum of 24 hours in marinade under refrigeration.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place marinated meat on screens in oven until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Once internal temperature is 165 degrees, pull the jerly out of oven and let the product air dry for another 24 hours.
- Product should be ready to go.
Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.