LOS ANGELES (FOX 11) - A taco fundraiser will be held Wednesday to raise money for the family of Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Joseph Solano, who was fatally shot at an Alhambra Jack in the Box restaurant.
Solano, 50, was shot June 10 while off duty and died two days later at County-USC Medical Center.
The sheriff's department's Temple Station will host the fundraiser beginning at 11:30 a.m. at Temple City Park, 5939 Golden West Ave. For a suggested $10 donation, attendees can get a combination of Mexican food from Baja Cali Fish & Tacos.
- Deputy Joseph Solano, shot in Alhambra while getting food, has died
- Suspected gunman in deputy shooting at Alhambra fast food restaurant arrested
- Officials: Suspected gunman in deputy shooting may have been involved in more crimes
- Deputy shot at Alhambra Jack in the Box while getting food
- $100,000 reward offered in Alhambra shooting of off-duty deputy
All proceeds will go to Solano's family, sheriff's officials said.
The man suspected of shooting Solano, Rhett McKenzie Nelson, 30, is also accused of fatally shooting another man in downtown Los Angeles about an hour earlier. He is also accused in a pair of armed robberies carried out in Long Beach hours after the killings and a series of crimes in the San Diego area. Nelson was arrested June 11 in Long Beach after allegedly calling his father in Utah and saying he had committed a pair of killings in Southern California.
Solano, a 13-year sheriff's department veteran, had a son, Matthew; longtime girlfriend Julianna Loza; and stepdaughter Jessica Jimenez.
CNS contributed to this report.