(FOX 11) - A stubborn, wind-aided fire that destroyed four condominium units and left three firefighters hurt was extinguished Wednesday in Chatsworth, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The blaze broke out just before 5 p.m. inside a two-story condo at 22166 James Alan Circle, and was doused 81 minutes later, LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey said.
The fire quickly spread to three other units through a common attic the condos shared. Wind gusts of up to 35 miles per hour whipped the flames between the buildings, according to fire Capt. Erik Scott.
The department dispatched 122 firefighters and one helicopter to the scene, Humphrey said.
Three firefighters were treated for non-life-threatening injuries, he said.
One person was also evaluated for possible smoke inhalation. The Red Cross was assisting four families who were displaced by the fire with temporary shelter, Humphrey said.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, attributed to installation of a propane tank or barbecue equipment for use on a condo patio.
Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles: Download our mobile app for alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.