Bill Cosby's lawyers push to get sexual assault case thrown out

- Bill Cosby arrived at court Tuesday to try to get the sexual assault charges against him thrown out because of what his lawyers say was a binding commitment by a previous district attorney not to prosecute him a decade ago.

The current district attorney has said he has no record of such an agreement.

Cosby, 78, emerged from a black SUV just before 9 a.m., dressed in a tan suit and tie. Two men held his arms for support as he walked up a ramp to the Montgomery County Courthouse, and one carried Cosby's cane. The comedian chatted with his handlers while ignoring reporters' questions.

Cosby is accused of drugging and violating former Temple University athletics employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004.

In a barrage of allegations that have destroyed Cosby's image as America's Dad, dozens of women have accused the former TV star of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s. But this is the only case in which he has been charged.

Cosby's lawyers contend that he had a deal with then-District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. in 2005 that he wouldn't be prosecuted and that he could testify freely in Constand's civil lawsuit. Castor said at the time that there was insufficient evidence to charge Cosby.

Damaging testimony from that lawsuit was released last summer, prompting Castor's successors to reopen the case and ultimately charge Cosby. He could get 10 years in prison if convicted.

Cosby admitted in the deposition that he had affairs with young models and actresses, that he obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave Constand three pills at his home. He said he reached into her pants in what he insisted was consensual contact.

In an unusual twist, Castor was slated to be the defense's key witness at Tuesday's hearing. Castor has insisted that he worked out an oral "non-prosecution" agreement in 2005 with Walter M. Phillips Jr., a Cosby lawyer who died last year.

Kevin Steele, the newly elected DA who is pursuing the case, has said Cosby would need an immunity agreement in writing to get the case thrown out. He has said he has no evidence one exists.

Anne Poulin, a law professor at Villanova University, said the defense has a high bar to meet to get the case thrown out early on. But "if they can win without this ever going to trial, then they've done their client a big service."

It was not immediately clear when Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill would rule.

FOX 11 reporter Phil Shuman's take: 

It was dueling Bill Cosby cases on dueling coasts Tuesday.

You'll want to read details of the motion to dismiss the one criminal case against him involving a woman named Andrea Constand. This was in Pennsylvania. The former district attorney agreed with Cosby that his decision not to charge him 10 years ago was essentially a quid pro quo for Cosby agreeing to cooperate in her civil suit against him -- which was settled for an undisclosed amount.

It was a new D.A. that filed the criminal case last December. The old D.A. said Cosby would have had to been ''nuts'' to say the things he did in the deposition in Constand's civil lawsuit -- you know, the things about buying Quaaludes and giving them to women he wanted to have sex with.  \

Deal? He had no record of it. Nothing was in writing. Hello, aren't they lawyers? Didn't Cosby have a lawyer then. Was it wink-wink? Nothing in writing? I mean you watch any cop or legal TV show, you know you have to have it in writing or you don't have anything.

In the meantime, our friend Gloria Allred was back in court Tuesday in Santa Monica on behalf of her client Judy Huth, who claimed as a 15-year-old that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in 1974 at one of his favorite spots, the Playboy Mansion.

No criminal charges in that one, but the civil suit continues. Allred complained that Cosby wasn't cooperative and forthcoming enough for her in his first deposition, so she wanted a second one. I guess she was hoping Cosby would admit his actions?

A judge agreed. Cosby has to do it again, and moreover, pay for it all.

The drama continues.

Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on FacebookTwitter and YouTube.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories