LA County DA declines to file charges against Bill Cosby

- The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office declined Wednesday to file criminal charges against comedian Bill Cosby over allegations that he sexually assaulted two women, including one at the Playboy
Mansion in 2008.

It marked the second time the District Attorney's Office has declined to file charges against Cosby. In December 2014, prosecutors cited the statute of limitations in declining to pursuing a case against the entertainer over
allegations that he sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1974.

In their latest decision, prosecutors also noted that any charges involving allegations that Cosby forced a then-17-year-old girl to have sexual intercourse at a home in the Hollywood Hills in 1965 were "barred by the
statute of limitations.''

Prosecutors also cited the statute of limitations and ``insufficient evidence'' in declining to file charges in connection with the 2008 allegations.

The woman told investigators that she was certain the party she attended at the Playboy Mansion occurred in the summer of 2008, but Cosby's name only showed up on a guest list for one event in February, according to a charge evaluation worksheet prepared by the District Attorney's Office.

The alleged 2008 incident as described by the woman -- described only in the document as ``Jane Doe  2'' -- included two potential misdemeanor charges that are barred by the statute of limitations, according to the charge evaluation worksheet prepared by Deputy District Attorney Jodi M. Link.

Prosecutors also opted against filing any felony counts against Cosby involving the alleged 2008 incident.

"Sexual battery by restraint, a felony, was contemplated but there is insufficient evidence to prove the elements of this crime,'' Link wrote. "Sexual assaults by intoxication or of an unconscious victim and the attempts to commit such crimes, as well as assault with intent to commit a sex offense were also considered. However, there is no evidence to support the filing of these crimes. Consequently, after evaluating all potential charges, there is insufficient evidence to prove these crimes beyond a reasonable doubt.''

Chloe Goins filed a lawsuit against Cosby in federal court last October, alleging that he sexually assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 2008 when she was 18.

In a statement released this afternoon, Goins' attorney, Spencer Kuvin, said it was a "disappointment'' to Goins and her legal team that Cosby will not face criminal charges in connection with her allegations.

"However, we recognize that the bar for criminal prosecution, which is proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, is extremely high. We nonetheless commend the efforts of the LAPD and the District Attorney's Office with respect to their criminal investigation,'' Kuvin said.

Kuvin said the decision by the District Attorney's Office "in no way affects Ms. Goins' civil lawsuit against Cosby, which is proceeding.''

Cosby has been accused by dozens of women who claim the comedian drugged and sexually assaulted them. He was charged last week with sexual assault in Pennsylvania -- the first criminal case filed against the comedian.

Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los AngelesDownload our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on FacebookTwitter and YouTube.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories