CARSON (CNS) - A second-alarm fire broke out today in metal shavings at a commercial business in Carson, and about 100 people were evacuated from nearby businesses as a precaution. About four dozen firefighters and a hazardous-materials team were sent to the 200 block of East Gardena Boulevard after the fire was reported about 10:15 a.m., county fire Inspector Randall Wright said. No injuries were reported. The fire originated in metal shavings, and spread to a structure. Fire crews were deployed in a defensive mode because of the dangers of pouring water onto a metal fire, which could send up sparks and ignite other structures or cause injuries, Wright said. Evacuations were ordered for businesses within about a block of the fire scene, Wright said.Copyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.