Chris Brookins says he was "taking a hit of the e-cigarette, just like every other day" when he heard "a hissing noise." He says he went to go pull it away from his mouth and as he was it exploded like a flash-bang."
Brookins friend Sean Schoepflin says for that to happen there had to have been "a tremendous amount of force" and shutters to imagine what might have happened if Brookins hadn't pulled the device away from his mouth.
Tom Kiklas is with Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association. He lobbies for companies that make e-cigarettes. He says, "there is a propensity for any electronic device that has a rechargeable battery to fail." He says the three explosions in Southern California in the last month are rare, but adds these larger devices make him nervous.
"The thing (Brookins used) is larger than a standard unit." He says, "these units people are creating are becoming ever increasingly more powerful. And, as they become more powerful, that unit or any unit has a capacity to fail." That concerns him.
More on this story can be found in the accompanying video piece.
Copyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles | Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts | Follow us on Facebook , Twitter and YouTube.