LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11) - In preparation of Memorial Day cookouts, Chef Curtis Stone joined us on Good Day LA with his tips for perfect steaks and burgers, as well as great side dishes and desserts!
• TRI TIP: Move meat from indirect to direct heat.
-This steak is thick so you need to start it over indirect heat so it doesn't burn before it is cooked through. Then move it over direct heat to get a great char on the outside.
• RIBEYE: Flips this steak on the grill.
-This steak cooks over medium-high heat so it sears and cooks through at the same time. Turning this one over every 2 minutes.
• SKIRT STEAK: Flips this steak on the grill.
-This steak is super thin, so it cooks over super high heat for just about 2 minutes per side.
• Let cooked meat rest before carving.
• Carve meat against the grain to make it even more tender.
• Carves into resting steaks from rack over baking sheet
• Shows putting dimple into raw patty and seasons with salt and pepper; lays patty on grill. Gives
-Use 80% lean for juicy burgers. Don’t overwork meat. Form patties wider than buns
-Use cold patties
-Salt just before cooking
-Make dimple to help keep surface level while cooking
-Turns over another patty on grill. Tops with cheese. Gives TIP:
-Flip just once
-Don’t press on patties
• Lift finished burger from grill; place on bottom bread bun with arugula.
-Butter and grill your buns for better flavor and crunchy texture
• Top burger with onions and top buns
GRILLED CORN WITH THREE TOPPINGS
• WARM BACON MARMALADE:
-Stir in cooked bacon and thyme. Stir in bacon just before serving so it stays crunchy.
-Spoon over corn. Can sprinkle more bacon over.
• PARSLEY GARLIC BROWN BUTTER:
-Stir in garlic, parsley, and lemon juice.
-Just by browning the butter you add a deeper buttery flavor to your corn. You can add anything to the butter…chiles, sage, spices
-Spoon over corn.
• ROASTED CHILE BUTTER AND COTIJA:
-Stir roasted chiles, lime zest, juice.
-Keep butter soft and spread it over while corn is still on grill so it melts over corn.
-Grate cheese over and sprinkles cilantro over.
ORZO PASTA SALAD
• Use a unique pasta shape
• Make your own salad dressing
• Mix fresh veggies and herbs just before serving so they stay fresh
• Use those pretty microgreens to garnish and add nice colors.
GRILLED POUND CAKE WITH HARRY’S BERRIES, PISTACHIO GELATO, AND STRAWBERRY POWDER
• Pound cake is on grill over indirect heat
• Freeze-dried strawberries are pulverized
• Strawberries are halved and tossed with a bit of sugar
• Gelato is ready to be quenelled
• Use high-quality store-bought items, like freshly baked pound cake, gelato, fresh fruit, and freeze-dried fruit