It’s Fourth of July and we are having a surf and turf party with Mastro’s!
Chef Walter Mayen here to show us how to create the perfect surf and turf feast for the fourth!
Steak and Fish on the Grill – How To Do It Perfectly
Most people don’t know the difference between grilling steak and fish and as a result, are too afraid to try fish.
Grilling Tips: Fish vs. Steak
· Make sure your grill is HOT; heat it for at least 20 mins before grilling and designate a cool spot on your grill for cooked seafood.
· It's ok to grill Shrimp, Lobsters and Crab, as long as you make sure not to overcook them. Season it to your liking and make sure your brush oil or butter at the end to add flavor.
· Grill fish with the skin on. This prevents the fish from falling apart.
· Use a spatula, not tongs, when grilling fish... and brush the fish with oil or butter to prevent from sticking.
· Whenever possible, grill fish using fish baskets, wood planks and skillets, which is especially great for delicate fish. See which one becomes your favorite
How To Build a Seafood Tower
You will need about 1/2 pounds of shellfish per person for a great tower, but it really depends if you are having it as an appetizer or a main course.
With the heat outside at a barbecue, it’s not a great idea to use oysters. Better to always be safe.
1. Use the freshest seafood possible; ask your seafood specialist what he/she recommends.
2. Go for variety such as Alaska King Crab legs, Dungeness Crab, Lobster claw or tails, oysters); then start from the bottom and build up.
3. Try seasonal oysters. There are so many different types, and you always want to go with what is the freshest and in season.
4. Use seaweed and lemons to make your towers pop. You want to make it as visual as possible.
5. Don’t forget the sauces. Go for classics like cocktail sauce for shrimp, but try new sauces such as a mayonnaise based sauce for Dungeness crab and a mignonette sauce for oysters.
Butter Cake Demo
· Using signature Butter Cake, but making it festive.
· Add blueberries & strawberries around the Butter Cake, and then whipped cream to decorate…
is a collection of sophisticated, classic Steakhouses and Ocean Club seafood locations in Arizona, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Nevada.