LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11) - Chef Antonello Cognoli, owner of Antonello Ristorante in Santa Ana, joined us on Good Day LA to share tips to transform your dinner into an authentic Italian meal.
So take that boxed pasta and off-the-shelf sauce, and by incorporating his trade secrets, create a meal you might find at Antonello!
* Buy a brand name sauce at your grocery store.
* Zest it up by adding fresh garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and sauteed veggies cooked in extra virgin olive oil.
* Meanwhile, boil the pasta but not to a mushy state but aim for the early stages of al dente.
* Next, put the nearly done pasta and sauce together for a minute or so in a pan and heat together rather than plating the pasta separately then topping it with sauce.
* Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese -- nothing out of a container like the proverbial green Kraft Parmesan
* To jazz up the plate, add (need a green), add candles for intimacy, use either a proper table cloth (all white) or elegant place mats, use only fabric napkins (linens preferred), add a rose or other elegant flower (no mixed arrangements) in a suitable vase and pull out your finest silverware.
* Serve immediately accompanied with a glass of Hello Kitty Pinot Noir (an elegant red wine carrying black cherry, strawberry and raspberry flavors) or for those who enjoy a lighter wine, the Hello Kitty Nero (made of chardonnay and pinot noir grapes with a golden color and and a dry velvety flavor)