City Café – was located on Melrose Ave. - 1981-1985
CITY Restaurant – was located on La Brea Ave. - 1985-1994
City Café and CITY Restaurant changed the culinary landscape of L.A. forever with groundbreaking, eclectic, and adventurous dishes from Thailand, India, China, France, Italy, Greece, and beyond, wowing customers and critics alike.
City Café only had 39 seats out front and just enough room in back for a 24" x 24" prep table, a hot plate, and a hibachi grill in the alley. City Café was so small you could fit 10 of them inside Border Grill Downtown LA.
Mary Sue met her husband, architect Josh Schweitzer, when he came to L.A. to design the much larger CITY Restaurant. It was love at first sight. BUT . . . Josh was actually Susan's high school sweetheart, husband, and then ex-husband first! Susan kept telling Mary Sue about Josh and was sure they would hit it off--she was right.
When CITY Restaurant opened, they turned the tiny City Café into the first Border Grill, essentially a taco stand. Border Grill moved to Santa Monica in 1990.
CITY Night on Monday, February 29, 2016
- The menu that launched the careers of celebrity Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger is back for one night only.
- Before they were Bravo’s “Top Chef Masters” and Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”, these young chefs were shaping the culinary landscape of Los Angeles forever at their first restaurant CITY (1981-1994) with dishes from Thailand, India, Greece, Italy, France, and beyond.
- At Border Grill Downtown LA (445 S. Figueroa St. Los Angeles, CA 90071)
- Prix fixe dinner menu starting at 6pm - $125 per person
- In true CITY fashion, plates from around the world will be featured on the menu including Thai bean salad, Lambs tongue in red endive, Marinated tuna, Poona pancake, Red curry with shellfish, CITY chocolate cupcakes.
- Call 213.486.5171 for reservations.
- Visit BorderGrill.com for more info and full menu.
Website Link: http://www.bordergrill.com/
About Border Grill
Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger are co-chef/owners of the popular, critically acclaimed Border Grill restaurants & Truck, serving modern Mexican food in Las Vegas, Santa Monica, Downtown Los Angeles, Tom Bradley International Terminal at Los Angeles International Airport and most recently a second Las Vegas location inside The Forum Shops at Caesars. The Border Grill Truck can be found on the streets of Southern California and beyond cooking gourmet tacos, quesadillas, ceviche, and more. Mary Sue and Susan, Bravo's "Top Chef Masters" and Food Network's "Too Hot Tamales," are preeminent ambassadors of authentic Mexican cuisine, setting the standard for gourmet Mexican fare and authoring five cookbooks, including Cooking with Too Hot Tamales and Mesa Mexicana. Active members of the community, Mary Sue and Susan play leading roles in Share Our Strength and the Scleroderma Research Foundation. In addition, they are passionate about the environment and lead the culinary industry with their eco-friendly policies.
For more information, visit www.bordergrill.com.