We are carving for a cause and sharing with you outrageous, over the top pumpkins. The teams here are participating in Monday night's GUTS OC event - happening for the first time in Orange County tonight at SOCO and The OC Mix in Costa Mesa.
The goal of GUTS is to unify the creative community in support of a meaningful charity, Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire.
These teams are donating their time and energy to create incredible pumpkins that will be voted and auctioned off tonight - with all proceeds going towards Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire – an organization that grants the wishes of critically-ill children.
This event starts tonight at 5PM - and is free and open to the public!
While the teams are busy carving for 90 mins – you can enjoy:
- Kid’s Crafts
- Balloon Artist
- Special freebies from awesome sponsors
- Rock Climbing
- Temporary Tattoos
- Raffle prizes
- Face Painting
- Kids are encouraged to dress in costume for a memorable and meaningful night!
- Good carving starts with the right pumpkin. Choose one that is fresh, with a sturdy stem and no bruises, and that has a flat bottom so it won't roll.
- Cut out the lid on an angle, not straight up and down. This way the lid won't drop inside the pumpkin when you replace it. A boning knife works best for this.
- Scoop out all the pulp — and then some. You can buy a special "claw" for this, but an ice cream scoop will do just fine. Thin the inner wall of the "face" area to 1 1/4-inch thick, so it will be easier to pierce the shell.
- Hold the pumpkin in your lap when it's time to carve the features. It's easier to carve when the face is gazing up at you. And don't cut on a slant; clean up-and-down slices look best. To make intricate designs, try using a small saw. Pumpkin Masters makes a pumpkin-carving kit with a 4-in-1 tool, a scraper tool, a saw, a drill, a pounce wheel, and 14 patterns
- Use your scraps creatively. Make a tongue out of a discarded piece of pumpkin shell, for example.
- Keep your pumpkin fresh. Spread petroleum jelly on the cut edges to seal in moisture. If your pumpkin still shrivels a few days later, you can revive it with a facedown soak in cold water for up to eight hours.
- If you like to leave the lid on while the candle is lit, create a chimney. First, leave the lid on for a few minutes while the candle burns, then make a small hole where the lid has blackened.
Please come out tonight to vote on these incredible pumpkins and raise money for a great cause - Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire. All proceeds will go to granting the wishes of critically-ill children.
For more information, please visit OCGUTS.com. We look forward to seeing you all tonight at GUTS OC!
Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.