LOS ANGELES (FOX 11) - In celebration of Hanukkah and Foodie Friday, we are cooking up potato latkes and traditional donuts. Chef Lior Hillel is co-owner of Bacari W 3rd in Los Angeles and joined us with some delicious recipes!
Sour cream and cardamom sufganiyot
1 quart cooking oil (grapeseed or canola)
2 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspooon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
8 ounces sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1. In a deep, narrow pot, heat the oil slowly to 350 F.
2. In one bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In a second bowl, thoroughly mix the sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract.
4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Drop batter by spoonsful into the hot oil. When the sufganiyot is golden, flip it to the other side, and fry until it is a deep caramel color.
6. Place the finished sufganiyot on paper towels.
7. In a mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cardamom. Add the sufganiyot and toss gently until coated.
8. If you have a good caramel sauce, dip the fresh sufganiyot into the caramel and enjoy.
Makes about 25 mini sufganiyot.
2 Large russet potatoes
1 large onion
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp of kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Oil for frying
1. In food processor with the coarse grating disc, grate the potatoes and onion. Move it to a strainer and push to extract as much liquid as you can.
2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl add the rest of the ingredients until everything is evenly mixed
3. Put 1/4" frying oil in a saute pan, heat up the oil and drop a small tester to check if the oil is hot enough. If so portion a heaping spoon of the batter and put in the pan and flatten it to about 1/2"-3/4" until nice golden brown on each side.
4. Once cooked move the latkes onto a paper towels to cool down a bit and absorb the oil
5. Serve warm with the condiment of your choice